[Samba] Adding user to group doesn't propagate?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Sep 24 12:48:31 UTC 2020

Well, there is a small differenct in the result of the order of working..
Ad backend, must be.
- create group, add GID.
- adduser to group.
- setup rights (add the groups as acl to filesystem/folder/file)
Only now you will see the folder with the new group on it.

Rid backend can be,
- create group
- setup rights
Now you will see the folder with the new group on it.
- adduser

> > And, did you login/logout again after adding the user.
> No, I didn't, but the only way I could get the user to show up as a
> member of the group was to run 'wbinfo -a username' which amounts to
> re-authenticating.

Aah, thats same as logout/login  ;-)

> > Just like in windows, after you authenticated and being
> added to a group, you need to logout/login again to get it activated.
>
> That is the piece of information I struggled to find and if
> that is the
> case, then I feel that Samba is working in the same way as Windows.

Well, there are still the options to try..

gpasswd for immediate change:
gpasswd -a someuser somegroup

exec su -l $USER

newgrp groupname