[Samba] Raspberry Pi Version of Samba?

Robert Wooden wdn2420systm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:41:57 UTC 2020

Everybody,
In my case I used a RPi as an additional DC for a month or so while making
some Samba4 AD improvements to the main DC's.

My main DC's run on some nanopc Intel J1800 (cpu) based fanless (about 5" x
5" x 2") box's that by spec sheet draws a maximum of 15W to run on full
load. As a DC they never run on full load. These boxes are actually
designed to be run 24/7 as firewall device, PfSense, OPNsense, Untangle,
etc.

I found a manufacturer that I could buy these devices without wifi radio
(in my case) but, it is an available option if you think you need it.
Sorry, not going to advertise the manufacturer name but if you search
enough you'll find them online.

That RPi was demoted and reconfigured to a different job on the network and
has been running for over a year with the same microsd card. No device
failure as yet. Any device running as a DC seldom spikes the cpu while
maintaining the network doing their Samba 4 job.

I did not use the RPi as a permanent DC because, like you, I was sceptical
of the reliability of the hardware. I don't think it was designed or
intended to be run 24/7 like these nanopc's are.

I have two nanopc that are coming up on five years running 24/7 without any
hardware failure, as yet.