[Samba] Raspberry Pi Version of Samba?

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Wed Sep 23 01:03:02 UTC 2020

On 9/22/20 2:14 PM, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote
> As an old sage (curmudgeon if you like) I'd encourage people to really consider if the Pi is really what you want.
> For me, it's not - even though it's a totally cool device conceptually. They're a ton of fun to tinker with too.
I am also an old guy and didn't want to use the Rpi for this purpose.
However, many years ago I turned off our land lines and had a Sprint
femtocell in the house serving as the base station for our cell phones.
My wife and I just used our cell phones as our main phones. For that to
work a good GPS antenna was necessary (the little antenna which came
with the femtocell just didn't work given the femtocell location and GPS
signal). I chose an active Trimble Bullet III GPS Antenna requiring a 5V
supply that was compatible with the femtocell and could be roof mounted.
Once WiFi calling became available, Sprint dropped support for the
femtocell. So I added a Trimble RES 360 Carrier Board and Rpi2 and
created a Strata I time server. In July of 2017 a lightening strike took
everything out (despite the lightening arrestor) so I migrated to RPI3
with a GPS Networking L1GPSA-N L1 Roof Antenna. I split the GPS signal
and have two RPI3s each with a Trimble RES 360 Carrier Board. Since I
already have this hardware providing approximately 1uS time accuracy
(wouldn't want to be late for dinner), I thought I might try using them
for ADs too.
> For something like a MAME I'd say go for it.
> Samba/ADDC? Probably not.

I agree with you but circumstances (such as I retired) made me change my
mind. I have Dell R710s one of which functions as my AD as well as
performing other server tasks. I prefer to run CentOS 7 but given RHEL's
refusal to support Samba AD functionality I have been using the Sernet
packages. I thought if I used the RPI3s for the AD I could use the Samba
source directly. I only use the AD for my home network and and a
non-profit Alaskan malamute rescue website I support so running Samba is
somewhat a hobby. Since I presently have only 1 AD using the two RPI3s
would allow me to run two ADs so given that I presently only have one AD
that might mitigate some of the potential issues should one of the RPI3s
fail.

A better idea, which I had not thought of until your message, would be
to run a Debian or Ubuntu virtual machine on the Dell R710 and install
the AD there. Then I could directly use Louis's packages. This option is
very agreeable.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)
Cell: (303)257-5208