[Samba] Raspberry Pi Version of Samba?

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Sep 22 20:14:43 UTC 2020

I thought I'd chime in here a bit.
I'm no RPi guru - but I've used them quite a lot for monitoring installs - stuff like Smokeping/Nagios/OMD/Cacti.
They were cheap and seemed attractive low-power devices for client installs - back 5-6 years ago.

I'm definitely using regular PC's now.
Yes, the hardware is more expensive - but an Optiplex 7010 or the like off of ebay, with a SSD is _WAY_ more capable. and while it might cost $150 or so, it's far more reliable.

Frankly, a decent i5 class machine with 8G of memory, you can run something like Xen/XCP and run all that stuff, or an ADDC in a VM - which is, IMO, way more attractive than a Pi. (Way easier to test with, spin up a new instance to test upgrades, bring up a VM to do something new, etc.)

So, far be it for me to tell anyone what to do - but I'm not nearly as happy with RPi (their disks are fragile and the biggest issue, IMO) vs a PC. The only real benefit for the Pi is space and power draw. (Though we're only talking like $30/year in power differential costs)

As an old sage (curmudgeon if you like) I'd encourage people to really consider if the Pi is really what you want.
For me, it's not - even though it's a totally cool device conceptually. They're a ton of fun to tinker with too.

For something like a MAME I'd say go for it.
Samba/ADDC? Probably not.

Feel free to ignore me too!
:)

-Greg

RWvs>  A few months ago, I built a samba 4 DC on a RPi 2B v1.1 with Louis'
RWvs> packages.

RWvs> It's just like a normal Intel cpu based installation with a couple of minor
RWvs> exceptions.

RWvs> I built mine on Raspbian Lite. You'll have to add an additional user and
RWvs> give it sudo privileges.The network setup was like the older Debian 9 by
RWvs> simply adjusting /etc/network/interfaces. To add Louis' repo you'll need to
RWvs> "apt install apt-transport-https gnupg2" to install his repo. The gnupg2
RWvs> package was missing from Louis' instructions on his repo page, might be
RWvs> there now..

RWvs> Other than that it should install just like normal package install.

RWvs> Post question here on the mailing list.

RWvs> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Rowland penny via samba <