[Samba] Cannot access Windows 10 printer - but can access all other parts of teh server (disks, folders etc)

Roger Tunnicliffe roger at languageone.com.au
Sun Sep 20 22:37:21 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am very new to mailing lists so please excuse any mistakes I make
regarding ettiquete etc.

On a home network (Windows/Apple/Lunux) everybody has co-operated
happily. I recently swapped my Linux system from Mint (Mate) to Debian
(KDE) Buster.

I can no longer access the Windows machine's printer form Debian.
I have tried many things and done a great deal of googling but cannot
seem to find an answer. I have the following errors:-

Using COMPUTERROOM (192.168.0.2)

roger at UPSTAIRS:~/_dev1/source/languageONE$ smbclient -L //COMPUTERROOM
Unable to initialize messaging context
Enter WORKGROUP\roger's password:

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        Brother         Printer   HL-1110 series
        C$              Disk      Default share
        Canon           Printer   Canon MX870 series Printer
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        jessica         Disk
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        roger           Disk
        Users           Disk
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

Using 192.168.0.2 (COMPUTERROOM)

roger at UPSTAIRS:~/_dev1/source/languageONE$ smbclient -L //192.168.0.2
Unable to initialize messaging context
Enter WORKGROUP\roger's password:

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        Brother         Printer   HL-1110 series
        C$              Disk      Default share
        Canon           Printer   Canon MX870 series Printer
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        jessica         Disk
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        roger           Disk
        Users           Disk
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
do_connect: Connection to 192.168.0.2 failed (Error
NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
Failed to connect with SMB1 -- no workgroup available

and

roger at UPSTAIRS:~/_dev1/source/languageONE$ smbtree
Unable to initialize messaging context
WORKGROUP
        \\UPSTAIRS                      Samba 4.9.5-Debian
                \\UPSTAIRS\IPC$                 IPC Service Samba4.9.5-
Debian)
                \\UPSTAIRS\print$               Printer Drivers
                \\UPSTAIRS\roger                Home Directories
        \\COMPUTERROOM                  COMPUTERROOM

As far as disk access goes, I can see and access all shared directories
in the Windows 10 machine but Samba (or something) has no knowledge of
the Windows printers.

I have spent a great deal of time on this and was hoping if no-one can
help me or indeed I am asking in the wrong place, perhaps someone could
point me in the right direction.

Thanking you in advance
Roger Tunnicliffe