[Samba] Upgrading samba on Buster

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Sep 18 23:14:43 UTC 2020

> I am thinking I was not clear. Sorry.

Ah no problem, happend to me all the time. ;-)

> I have no problem waiting for you to release the latest and
> greatest. Thanks for that!
>
> I am new to the Debian world and I seem to remember in the
> past you posted
> extra commands for upgrading to the next samba release.
>
> On Red Hat systems with rpms, it is simply yum update and
> reboot when it is
> done.  On Debian based systems it seems more
> complex/confusing.  Google shows
> things like apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. Is that enough
> or is there something more that needs to be done for a samba DC?

Yes, thats sufficient normaly.

> Not sure why it is necessary to do an update and upgrade but
> whatever. I just do not want to bork things.

What you saw where these.
apt update  - update the package list and versions in cache localy.
apt upgrade - upgrade packages. (optional --autoremove --purge)

--autoremove remove unused packages (related to other packages you removed)
--purge cleanup any leftover files

And the option.
apt dist-upgrade
If a packages needs an extra package that isnt installed yet, it stalls,
This might prevent you from breaking the system or it did break it.

Then dist-upgrade is the option.
( prefered with  --autoremove --purge )

I hope that explains abit.

Greetz,