[Samba] Mailserver + Samba4

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Sep 18 22:21:43 UTC 2020

This looks pretty clear.

https://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Kerberos

The symlink might not be needed.
# You have 2 options todo this.

# option 1 ( with a "service user" )
# my way like on the site.
samba-tool user create dovecot --description="Unprivileged user for TSIG-GSSAPI Dovecot Services" --random-password

#Now set the users password to never expire
samba-tool user setexpiry dovecot --noexpiry

# Add Service Principal Names (SPNs) and create keytab

$ samba-tool spn add imap/host.domain.com dovecot
$ samba-tool domain exportkeytab --principal imap/host.domain.com /etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
Dovecot needs to be able to read the keytab
chgrp dovecot /etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
chmod g+r /etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
Make sure your keytab has entry for imap/host.domain.name at REALM.

$ klist -Kek /etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
Keytab name: FILE:/etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
KVNO Principal
---- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1 imap/host.domain.name at REALM (des-cbc-crc)
   1 imap/host.domain.name at REALM (des-cbc-md5)
   1 imap/host.domain.name at REALM (arcfour-hmac)

# option 2 ( the computer$ name "IS" the "service user" )
#
# Option 2a the keytab setup.
#
# with separated keytab file for dovecot
KRB5_KTNAME=/etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
export KRB5_KTNAME

# option 2b with /etc/krb5.keytab setup, without above export of KRB5_KTNAME
net ads keytab add_update_ads imap/$(hostname -f) -U Administrator
This adds the spn in AD in the hostname$ and keytab file local

chgrp dovecot /etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab
chmod g+r /etc/dovecot/dovecot.keytab

Whats best i dont know, i dont use dovecot personaly, yes, uh. 17y ago.. ;-)
It depends a bit on your setup and what your using and want as options.

On postfix. (debian since i mostly do debian)
https://wiki.debian.org/PostfixAndSASL
Is still valid as far i can tell.

And a handy SPN list.
Services	IN MAIN	Packages
Currently supported via	Default Service principals name

openssh		GSSAPI		host/fqdn at REALM
openldap		SASL		ldap/fqdn at REALM
samba (as a cifs server)	cifs/fqdn at REALM host/fqdn at REALM
postfix		SASL		smtp/fqdn at REALM
dovecot		GSSAPI		imap/fqdn at REALM pop/fqdn at REALM
cupsys		GSSAPI		IPP/fqdn at REALM
postgresql		GSSAPI		postgres/fqdn at REALM
apache2     	mod-auth-krb5	HTTP/fqdn at REALM HTTP/short_fqdn at REALM
freeradius		via freeradius-krb5 module radius/fqdn at REALM
ipsec-tools (racoon)	GSSAPI

And if you use debian
apt install pam-krb5
update-pam-auth

Is in most of the times sufficient to enable kerberos auth in pam.

I hope you can use it.

Greetz,

Louis