[Samba] Logging successful log-ins

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Sep 16 17:53:59 UTC 2020

There's a note at the top of that document:

"Samba only supports logging of succeeded authorization events."

Does that mean that it won't log authentication events at all? Because that's implied.

I think it would be better, assuming it will log auth events, to say;
"Samba only supports logging of *successful* authorization events, not unsuccessful. Samba also supports logging of both successful and unsuccessful auth events."

Just my two bits worth.

ABvs> On Wed, 2020-09-16 at 17:46 +0100, Piers Kittel via samba wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> Due to a security breach at my office recently, we need to log
>> successful / failed log-ins.  I've put in "log level = 3" in smb.conf
>> on
>> our active directory domain controller which seems to log what we
>> need,
>> however this is generating massive log files, due to it logging
>> every
>> file opening/closing by all users.  How do I log successful/failed
>> log-ins without having to generate massive files?  Would it be
>> possible
>> to output just the successful/failed log-ins into its own log file?

>> Many thanks for help in advance!

ABvs> See

ABvs> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Audit_Logging
ABvs> --