[Samba] AD DC DNS question

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Sep 16 07:57:44 UTC 2020

Yes

> The way that I have it set up,
> whenever samba is not running, then I can't use any web resources b/c
> everything goes through the samba internal DNS. So I can't do system
> updates and upgrades unless samba is running.
Ah, a resolving design flaw ;-) small one, and common one.

My solution would be really simple, i keep samba running.. :-/

Lots of options here,
Or just add 1 internet dns server in resolv.conf.

Or in your router as ip/dns forwarder if possible.
If you can add a forward zone in you router for example.
Like internal.domain.tld and forward that your samba-ad-dc

> I saw this discussion (
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2020-August/231345.html) between
> Louis and Rowland but didn't know if it might apply to my situation.

Ah, thats not a discussion, its just me telling, you can chainlink as many dns servers as you want.
But wize, no offcours not.

> ~# cat /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml
> # This file is generated from information provided by
> # the datasource.  Changes to it will not persist across an instance.
> # To disable cloud-init's network configuration capabilities,
> write a file
> # /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/99-disable-network-config.cfg with
> the following:
> # network: {config: disabled}
> network:
>     version: 2
>     ethernets:
>         eth0:
>             dhcp4: false
>             addresses: [192.168.0.11/16]
>             gateway4: 192.168.0.200
>             nameservers:
>                 search: [mydom.samdom.com]
>                 addresses: [192.168.0.11, 192.168.0.14, 192.168.0.200]
>
> 192.168.0.11 is this server
> 192.168.0.14 is another AD DC
> 192.168.0.200 is a router/gateway

Nothing wrong with this.

What i did for my home network.

1 samba ad-dc + dns
1 router + dns forwarders

I added the samba primary dns domain to the resolver settings in the router.
So internal.domain.tld > ip_samba_dns
(if you router is capable)

Pc is set to, dns1 samba, dns2 router.
Samba turned off, fine, dns2 forwards to the internet.
Samba up again, fine, dns1 forards to the internet.

Good luck,

Greetz,

Louis