[Samba] AD DC DNS question

Jonathan Kreider jonathan.kreider at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:19:52 UTC 2020

OS = Ubuntu 18.04 in an LXD container
Samba 4.11.x and up

Is there a way to have DNS resolution on the server that can coexist with
the samba ad dc internal DNS server? The way that I have it set up,
whenever samba is not running, then I can't use any web resources b/c
everything goes through the samba internal DNS. So I can't do system
updates and upgrades unless samba is running.

I saw this discussion (
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2020-August/231345.html) between
Louis and Rowland but didn't know if it might apply to my situation.

~# cat /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml
# This file is generated from information provided by
# the datasource.  Changes to it will not persist across an instance.
# To disable cloud-init's network configuration capabilities, write a file
# /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/99-disable-network-config.cfg with the following:
# network: {config: disabled}
network:
    version: 2
    ethernets:
        eth0:
            dhcp4: false
            addresses: [192.168.0.11/16]
            gateway4: 192.168.0.200
            nameservers:
                search: [mydom.samdom.com]
                addresses: [192.168.0.11, 192.168.0.14, 192.168.0.200]

192.168.0.11 is this server
192.168.0.14 is another AD DC
192.168.0.200 is a router/gateway

Thanks,