[Samba] Which log file?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Sep 9 22:15:35 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 02:35:28PM -0700, Peter Pollock via samba wrote:
> I have two photocopiers.
>
> Both have the facility to can to a file on a file server via smb.
>
> Both configured identically.
>
> One can write to a samba share, the other cannot (same server, same share)
>
> I'm searching for a log somewhere that might show me why the write is
> failing but I cannot see anything.
>
> Which log file on my fileserver would show me if the server is rejecting
> the connection, please?

From the smb.conf man page:

log file (G)

           This option allows you to override the name of the Samba log file (also known as the debug file).

           This option takes the standard substitutions, allowing you to have separate log files for each user or machine.

           No default

           Example: log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

Set it as so, to get a separate log file for the
incoming machine name.