[Samba] Trying to add workstation to smb domain and get access denied

L A Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Wed Sep 9 02:20:20 UTC 2020

Rebooted my system for a windows update.  When it came back up,
It said the trust between my workstation and DC was broken.
(Running Windows 7x64 SP1).  Very odd, haven't seen that for a while.

I thought it would be easy: unjoin/rejoin.  But upon trying to rejoin,
I get:

  The join operation was not successful.  This could be because an existing
  computer account having name 'ANY' was previous created using a
  different set of credential.  Use a different computer name, or
  contact your administrator to remove any stale conflicting account
  The error was Access is denied.

I also tried it from the smb DC using 'net dom join...', but get the same
error: access is denied.

Have never seen this.  I've tried changing the name to a computer name
never existing on my network, but got the same message with no matter
what computer name I put in.

Help?
Linda