[Samba] ACLs, groups and suid-bit?

Harald Hannelius harald+samba at arcada.fi
Tue Sep 8 12:27:27 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have users in Samba AD with uid- and gidnumbers. I also have group objects
with gidNumbers.

I have a Samba member server (all servers Samba 4.9.5-Debian) that have one
share and a lot of directories.

The directory permissions are set as a specific group as owner, and the
group write and suid bit are set.

  drwxrwsr-x 2 root thegroup  4096 Sep  8 15:25 groupdir

This worked fine in Samba 3. However, now when people are storing files in
the dir the file doesn't get group ownership 'thegroup' nor does it get
write permission bit set.

Is there a new and improved way to accomplish this now?

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020