[Samba] Make new server the "master"

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Sun Sep 6 20:24:24 UTC 2020

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020, Peter Pollock via samba wrote:

> Apparently I missed a step somewhere!
>
> On DC01 /etc/systemd/resolved.conf says
>
> [Resolve]
> #DNS=
> #FallbackDNS=
> #Domains=
> #LLMNR=no
> #MulticastDNS=no
> #DNSSEC=no
> #DNSOverTLS=no
> #Cache=yes
> #DNSStubListener=yes
> #ReadEtcHosts=yes
>
> On DC02 it reads
>
> [Resolve]
> DNS=8.8.8.8
> FallbackDNS=8.8.4.4
> #Domains=
> #LLMNR=no
> #MulticastDNS=no
> DNSSEC=no
> #DNSOverTLS=no
> #Cache=yes
> #DNSStubListener=yes
> #ReadEtcHosts=yes
>
> So the DNS line should be the IP of the DC it's on, correct?
> FallbackDNS? should that be 8.8.8.8 or should that be the other DC?

It should be the other DC. Think about it. Does 8.8.8.8 know anything
about any host in your samba domain? Your samba dns configuration
should then use forwarders that point to something that knows how to
resolve external names. Could be 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 or whatever.

FWIW, 1.1.1.1 is Cloudflare. If you must use public dns for external name
resolution, I prefer Cloudflare over Google. Less tracking and all of that
stuff.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org