[Samba] Make new server the "master"

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Sun Sep 6 20:36:32 UTC 2020

Hi Rowland,

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> On 06/09/2020 20:56, Peter Pollock wrote:
>>  Apparently I missed a step somewhere!
>>
>>  On DC01 /etc/systemd/resolved.conf says
>>
>>  [Resolve]
>> # DNS=
>> # FallbackDNS=
>> # Domains=
>> # LLMNR=no
>> # MulticastDNS=no
>> # DNSSEC=no
>> # DNSOverTLS=no
>> # Cache=yes
>> # DNSStubListener=yes
>> # ReadEtcHosts=yes
>>
>>  On DC02 it reads
>>
>>  [Resolve]
>>  DNS=8.8.8.8
>>  FallbackDNS=8.8.4.4
>> # Domains=
>> # LLMNR=no
>> # MulticastDNS=no
>>  DNSSEC=no
>> # DNSOverTLS=no
>> # Cache=yes
>> # DNSStubListener=yes
>> # ReadEtcHosts=yes
>>
>>  So the DNS line should be the IP of the DC it's on, correct?
>>  FallbackDNS? should that be 8.8.8.8 or should that be the other DC?
>>

> It should be on both DC's:
>

> DNS=<the DC's ipaddress>
> FallbackDNS=8.8.8.8
> Domains=internal.kcs

I am confused by the above. How is FallbackDNS different from
having a 2nd or 3rd DNS server listed? I would think that the resolver should
have both DC's listed in it and use forwarders for external name resolution.

That way if the DNS service on one of the DC's dies as far as the users are
concerned things continue to work as expected. A bit slower but working none
the less.

So the real question is, Why public DNS for the FallbackDNS setting?

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org