[Samba] Fileserver advice needed

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Sep 6 07:34:44 UTC 2020

On 06/09/2020 00:29, Peter Pollock via samba wrote:
> I have a domain with two Samba DC's
>
> I don't want to use either of them as a fileserver, so I want to build a
> separate file server which is not a DC, which will deliver all the files to
> the lovely little windows users (including their roaming profiles).
Very good plan ;-)

> I've been looking online and there seems to be a thousand different ways to
> "join" my fileserver to the domain, but most of the walk throughs are
> outdated.
No, there is only one Samba supported method of joining a Unix machine
to an AD domain.

> If I'm right, it needs to be a member server.... Right?
Well, yes, but when you get down to it, it is a Unix machine that is a
member of an AD domain, hence 'Unix domain member' is probably a better
name ;-)

> Can anyone point me to a walk through for such a thing (I'm using
> Unbuntu 20.04).
>
> It seems like it should be really simple.

It is and you know a lot of it already, you just need to run 'smbd' &
'winbind' instead of 'samba' and create a smb.conf file yourself, which
is where it gets a little bit sticky.

Before you can create your smb.conf, you need to make a decision, do I
need the same ID everywhere on Unix machines ?

If you do, you will need to use the winbind 'ad' backend and add
uidNumber & gidNumber attributes to AD

If you don't or you don't want to add anything to AD, you can use the
either the 'rid' or 'autorid' winbind backends, you would only really
need to use the 'autorid' backends if you have multiple domains.

Rowland