[Samba] Make new server the "master"

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Sun Sep 6 07:30:20 UTC 2020

Hi Peter,

As Rowland pointed out in a previous post to you "Each DC should use its
own ipaddress for its nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf", so the gateway IP
should not be there.

So make /etc/resolv.conf on DC01
nameserver 192.168.4.5
search internal.kcs

and /etc/resolv.conf on DC02
nameserver 192.168.4.6
search internal.kcs

If you use the internal dns backend add the following to your [global]
section in /etc/samba/smb.conf on both DC01 and DC02

dns forwarder = <public DNS server IP-address>

If you use the bind dns backend make sure that the forwarders option
contain the IP-address(es) of your public DNS server(s). In that case,
the dns forwarder parameter must not exist in /etc/samba/smb.conf

Hope it helps

Best regards,

Peter