[Samba] Make new server the "master"

Peter Pollock peter.pollock at kingschristian.org
Sat Sep 5 21:02:18 UTC 2020

To get the question of why new servers, this one I'm using has hardware
whose remaining life is measured in days. The elastic bands and sticky tape
it is held together with won't hold for much longer. I'm using it to build
and test a new environment, but then I need to migrate that onto something
with a little more vitality before bringing it into production (in the next
56 hours).

As for DNS. I ALWAYS had the problem with my Zentyal boxes that if the one
I built first went down, the others didn't know what to do with their
lives. The same is true on these ones I've built today.

DC01 has IP 192.168.4.5
DC02 has IP 192.168.4.6
The gateway is ar 192.168.4.1

If I set /etc/resolv.conf to
nameserver 192.168.4.6
nameserver 192.168.4.1
search internal.kcs

I get no internal or external name resolution. Trying to ping anything
gives me:
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

Dig gives me this error:

itadmin at dc02:~$ dig dc01.internal.kcs

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> dc01.internal.kcs
;; global options: +cmd

Digging from DC01 works fine though

itadmin at dc01:/$ dig dc02.internal.kcs

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> dc02.internal.kcs
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; COOKIE: 4375a2de0dc15f30010000005f53fc6edecede8d59738b72 (good)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dc02.internal.kcs.             IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dc02.internal.kcs.      900     IN      A       192.168.4.6

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.4.5#53(192.168.4.5)
;; WHEN: Sat Sep 05 14:00:30 PDT 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 90

and all my troubles go away if I change resolv.conf to have nameserver
192.168.4.5 at the top