[Samba] Make new server the "master"

Peter Pollock peter.pollock at kingschristian.org
Sat Sep 5 16:54:21 UTC 2020

Please forgive me, I'm not sure what terminology to use here so this
question may sound wrong.

I have built two servers samba servers with a new domain. They replicate
happily and I can seem to do everything I could ever want on them.

DC01 holds all the FSMO roles and, as the first one built, acts as the
"master" for DNS. Nothing works well on either server if DC01 is not at the
top of the hosts file.

But this is in a temporary environment and what I'd like to do is build two
production servers, connect them to this AD domain, get them working and
then have them take over all the FSMO roles and for one of them to become
the master for DNS so that I can switch off these two test servers I have
built.

My question is, what do I have to do to make another server the "master"?
is it just transferring the FSMO roles or is there something else (apart
from updating the host files on all the live servers)?

Thanks in advance!