[Samba] SID mapping: Samba and SSSD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 4 20:01:28 UTC 2020

On 04/09/2020 20:46, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 08:34:29PM +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> There is no need (in my opinion) for yet another idmap backend and I can, if
>> I so wish, 'NACK' any new ones. If someone was to write a tool to sync data
>> (along with ownership and permissions) from a machine running sssd to a
>> machine running winbind, then this would get my approval.
> Sounds like someone needs "The Little Book of Calm" :-).
If you think I am not calm now, you should have seen me in my youth,
loud and angry were not the words, I have mellowed in my old age :D

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCT-PImSMzs
>
> Everything you say is correct, sssd isn't a Samba product
> or supported here. I understand it gets irritating continually
> referring people off-list.
>
> Maybe just ignore sssd posts ?
I did consider that, but it would mean that other people would advise
still using sssd and this could be seen as that Samba supports it,
which, from my understanding, we don't ;-)

> NAK'ing something is an extreme measure (IMHO), only used in
> irresolvable technical differences. Always better to discuss
> the requirements and maybe come to a compromise.
Well, yes, that was written in the heat of the moment and if push came
to shove, I would undoubtedly be involved in a discussion about any
proposed updates.

> Just my 2cents (that should be 1.5 pennies for you :-) :-).

Oh come on, I am only worth one Penny :-) :-)

Rowland