[Samba] SID mapping: Samba and SSSD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 4 19:34:29 UTC 2020

On 04/09/2020 19:50, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:
> IMHO, that's not actually how you act and respond.

My problem with sssd being discussed on the Samba mailing list is three
fold:

It isn't a Samba product.

It isn't supported by anyone (including its producer) when used with
winbind on Samba >= 4.8.0

You do not need to use it with Samba and never have had to.

How many times do I have say this ?

No wonder I get wound up it, it seems that it comes up very regularly
and when I point out that it isn't supported, someone always jumps in
and says 'yes, but it works for me', which it will do if you are using
the standard Samba packages on something like Ubuntu 18.04

This is the 'samba mailing list' and Samba does not produce sssd, so we
know very little about it, the correct place to discuss sssd is on the
aptly named 'sssd-users' mailing list.

There is no need (in my opinion) for yet another idmap backend and I
can, if I so wish, 'NACK' any new ones. If someone was to write a tool
to sync data (along with ownership and permissions) from a machine
running sssd to a machine running winbind, then this would get my approval.

Rowland