[Samba] SID mapping: Samba and SSSD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 3 17:43:32 UTC 2020

On 03/09/2020 18:04, Johan Hattne via samba wrote:
> Dear all;
>
> Would anybody be able to tell me what the idmap configuration is to
> have Samba do the same SID-to-user/group mapping as the SSSD
> defaults?  I was convinced I saw it on this list or the wiki not too
> long ago, but I cannot seem to find it.
>
> // Best wishes; Johan

If you mean the large numbers that sssd seems to use, then that is
probably not possible with Samba. From my understanding, sssd uses an
algorithm that uses a combination of the domain SID and the user/group
RID to calculate the Unix ID, or it uses the RFC2307 attributes. Samba
calculates from the user/group RID + the lower range you set in
smb.conf, or it uses the RFC2307 attributes.

Can I ask why you asked ?

Rowland