[Samba] help again with dns and samba 4 ad

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 2 15:28:49 UTC 2020

On 02/09/2020 16:15, jmpatagonia via samba wrote:
> That mean for example if my domain resolve
>
>                  xxxxx.testing.mydomain.com
>
> the dnsmasq should NOT resolv  xxxxxx.mydomain.com this is in ascending way
> ?
>
> Another way to expose:
> We set dnsmasq+dhcp to set clients that the only DNS server is samba DC on
> the domain name mysubdomain.mydomain.com
>
> DC for example resolv  server1.mysubdomain.mydomain.com right, now if a
> client as for a ddddd.mydomain.com DC response or ask to dnamasq fot that
> or produce a horrible loop that you mentioned?
>
> Regards

OK, if your dnsmasq server is in the 'mydomain.com' dns domain, and your
DC was in the 'ad.mydomain.com', this would be okay. This would your
allow your domain clients (winpc.ad.mydomain.com, for instance) to ask
the DC for the dns data for 'another-winpc.ad.mydomain.com' and the DC
would reply with the data. However, if 'winpc' asked for the data for
'yetanother-winpc.mydomain.com', then the DC should realise 'I do not
know this' and ask the dnsmasq server.

Rowland