[Samba] LDAPS & Windows Domain Controller

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:10:58 UTC 2020

So is that a bind type not mentioned in the chart he referenced for ldp.exe?
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/cc771022(v=ws.11)#understanding-bind-options-for-ldap-authentication>Understanding
bind options for LDAP authentication

There are several authentication methods available in ldp that allow a
client to bind to an LDAP server. The best method depends on several
factors.

Method

Description

Simple

Cleartext password. Try not to use this, as it is not secure.

MSN

MSN (Microsoft Network) authentication. This package brings up a dialog box
to prompt the user for MSN credentials.

DPA

Normandy authentication, new MSN authentication. Same usage as MSN.

NTLM

Windows NT domain authentication. Use NULL credentials and attempt to use
default logged-in user credentials.

Sicily

Negotiate with the server for any of: MSN, DPA, NTLM. Should be used for
LDAPv2 servers only.

Negotiate

Use GSSAPI Negotiate package to negotiate security package of either
Kerberos V5 or NTLM (or any other package the client and server negotiate).
Pass in NULL credentials to specify default logged-in user. If Negotiate
package is not installed on server or client, this will fall back to Sicily
negotiation.