[Samba] problems accessing samba shared printers from win32 clients

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Oct 30 16:40:12 UTC 2020

Mandi! Piviul via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> If I double click on the shared printers from a 64bit client I get the
> error: "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from
> connecting to this printer queue".

You have to set a GPO, 'Restrizioni di selezione e stampa' in italian.
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc753269(v=ws.11)
	https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/help/234270/how-to-use-group-policy-settings-to-control-printers-in-active-directo

> If I double click on the shared printer from a 32 bit client the printer
> seems to be installed correctly but when I go to the printer properties I
> get the message that the printer driver is not installed and if I want
> install a new one. On the logs I can find:
> > [2020/10/30 11:23:17.823375,  0] ../source3/smbd/trans2.c:3447(smbd_do_qfsinfo)
> >   smbd_do_qfsinfo: not an allowed info level (0x102) on IPC$.
> If I choose to install a new driver and I choose the same 32bit version of
> the driver the system says that it is not possible to install the driver.
> :?

Could be a driver bugs. Try to:

a) retry some time subsequently; some driver need that you try 2-5
  times to load correctly the driver (but seems that samba load the
  driver without error, indeed)

b) change driver (also, driver revision could help)

c) if the driver come with some CAB file, unpack it in source driver
   folder before uploading; this is sometime needed for language
   specific file (so, unpack italian only cab).

d) last resort, but sometime works, load the driver/printer in a
   windows machine, the 'copy' the driver via rpcclient:
	https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-HOWTO/classicalprinting.html#inst-rpc