[Samba] Setting up Backup AD DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 29 15:14:29 UTC 2020

On 29/10/2020 14:43, Marco Shmerykowsky via samba wrote:
> I want to setup a backup AD DC and have a few quick
> (possibly dumb) questions:
No, you just want to add another DC

> 1) Is this link the best reference to the procedure to
>    create the backup AD DC?
>
> ->
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory
It is a good start, then ask any questions here.

> 2) What is considered the best samba option of
>    the 3 listed for Sysvol Replication under the Subsection
>    titled "Built-in User & Group ID Mappings" in the
>    link provided above?
This is very subjective, if you ask 100 Samba users 'which is best', you
will probably get about 150 different answers :-D

> 3) Does the backup and the primary need to run the
>    same version of samba?

I think you mean 'Does the DC with all the FSMO roles and any other DC
need to run the same version of Samba' , to which the answer would be:

Ideally yes, but different versions will work together, just don't try
to use something like 4.1.x and 4.12.x together, it may work, but I
would bet there will be problems.

Rowland