[Samba] authenticate to samba using email address

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Thu Oct 29 11:36:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

Perhaps a strange question, but is it possible to configure samba to
accept an emailaddress as a username for authentication to a UNC network
path?

(so: "username at domain.com" next to the standard "DOMAIN\username" or
"username at samba.domain.com")

Some of our users access a samba UNC network path over VPN, while
working from home. They often have difficulties remembering the correct
username format.

If we could somehow arrange for emailaddress to work too, it would align
samba authentication to the rest of our external logons, like websites,
email, VPN, etc. All of those use emailaddress as a username.

We're running latest samba in AD config. The question is about access to
a linux domain member server.

Curious.

MJ