[Samba] Samba/NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 28 21:30:29 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-10-28 at 16:46 -0400, Andrew Walker via samba wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 4:38 PM Robert Buck via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > We see these messages showing up in the logs. What does this mean?
> > Definition?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Bob
> >

> It's most likely a conversion of ENOMEM to an NT status code. These
> can be
> returned for a variety of reasons, and we can't really say more
> without the
> relevant log entries.

Yeah, so often 'no memory' (which almost never happens in modern
systems due to the way memory allocation happens) really mean
'unexpected null pointer', so can mean literally anything.

Real out of memory conditions are much more likely to turn into the
pleasent feeling of a SIGKILL to the throat via the Kernel's OOM killer
(and, sadly quite likely to the 'wrong' process).

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org