[Samba] GPO fail and sysvol perm errors

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:06:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:01 AM L.P.H. van Belle via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Ok, so thats correct.
However gpupdate fails. And I know you said not to run sysvolreset,
but after running it gpupdate works.

> Can you tell the windows event id and description?
I get different errors depending upon the system, whether it's a local
system or a remote one connected via vpn.
The remote system is Event ID 1058:
The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file
\\my.example.com\sysvol\my.example.com\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F
-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group
Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved

The local system is Event ID 1096:
The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not apply the
registry-based policy settings for the Group Policy object
LDAP://CN=Machine,cn={E2BC0255-64C8-42CF-A27A-59A7D3DCD2DC},cn=policies,cn=
system,DC=my,DC=example,DC=com. Group Policy settings will not be resolved
until this event is resolved.

After running sysvolreset the systems update fine. Problem is once I
add or edit a GPO (from Windows 10 20H2) everything fails until I run
sysvolreset again.

> And which group is set on sysvol in general on the share tab.
This is the current info (I did run sysvolreset to get the GPO's
working again, so this is not with your settings, I can look into this
again later)
Owner is ADDOM\Administrator
Allow Everyone Full Control

Chris