[Samba] Azure AD Connect and replication issues

Michal Bruncko michal.bruncko at ssrk.sk
Wed Oct 21 16:00:37 UTC 2020

hello

our AD domain is hosted by two samba AD domain controllers version 4.12.6
- replication between controllers is fine, no problems.
- no schema errors.
- no database errors, all fine.
- no CPU utilizations
- wthout noticeable bandwidth utilization

Recently we have deployed Azure AD connector on dedicated windows system
(system is domain member server). since this deployment we are observing
following issues on DCs:
- CPU utilization issue (one CPU core fully utilized)
- high BW utilization
- replication issue messages:
[2020/10/21 17:41:55.043563,  0]
../../source4/rpc_server/drsuapi/getncchanges.c:2910(dcesrv_drsuapi_DsGetNCChanges)
   ../../source4/rpc_server/drsuapi/getncchanges.c:2910: DsGetNCChanges
2nd replication on DN DC= older highwatermark (last_dn
CN=userXYZ,OU=Users,DC=)

and this is happening only on one DC server in time - the one, to which
this AD connector is connected for doing AD to AAD sync tasks.

More details:

CPU: mostly only one CPU core from all system-assigned cores is utilized
at 100%:

BW utilization: you can see example here (peak starts once the Azure AD
connector connects to particular DC server) (notice the "uploaded" data
- 54GB - value from DC system):

Replicaton errors: repeating messages (example above) every each 4-5
seconds. the "last_dn" is changing during time slowly: it is changed to
another (user) object each several hours.

no other issues observed.

- If we deactivate this Azure connector, all issues stopped (but of
course we are out of sync with AAD)
- if we reboot/stop DC1 services (serving for Azure connector), the
Azure connector switch to DC2 and same story happen again
(CPU/bandwidth/replication logs)

I've found similar issue reported back in 2017:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-October/211756.html ([Samba]
samba getting stuck, highwatermark replication issue?)

seems this issue is still in place now. no difference.

does anyone else have similar issues? does anyone else how to resolve
them? either on Azure AD connector side (there are various confiuration
option available) or (possibly) on samba side?

thank you
michal