[Samba] Samba AD with multiple DC and multiple NICs

Stefano Vargiu vstefanoxx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:56:38 UTC 2020

I add some additional information I didn't give in my previous email,
specifically how I tried to force DC1 and DC2 to contact each other only
with their VPN IPs.
I did so using dnsmasq as a DNS proxy.

# DC1 configuration
IP NIC1: 172.16.0.2
IP NIC2: 172.20.0.1
IP VPN: 172.19.1.173

---
/etc/resolv.conf:
search domain.local
domain domain.local
nameserver 172.19.1.173
---

I configured dnsmasq to listen on the VPN interface 172.19.1.173 (while
samba listen on all other interfaces, 172.16.0.1, 172.20.0.1 and lo
127.0.0.1)

---
/etc/dnsmasq.conf:
listen-address=172.19.1.173
server=127.0.0.1  (dnsmasq's dns forwarder: samba is listening on 127.0.0.1)
host-record=DC2.domain.local,172.19.1.174
host-record=domain.local,127.0.0.1
---

In this way, any dns lookup to DC2.domain.local from DC1 gives me the VPN
IP of DC2:
$ dig +short DC2.domain.local
172.19.1.174
---

All other DNS queries are forwarded by dnsmasq to 127.0.0.1, where the
Samba's DNS server is listening.

Same configuration in DC2, with dnsmasq that resolve DC1.domain.local to
172.19.1.173.
I'm not sure if domain.local in DC2 should resolve to 127.0.0.1 or to
172.19.1.173: considered they are multi-master, for symmetry maybe better
to use 127.0.0.1, also if in my first attempts I used the VPN IP of DC1.

> DC is authoritative for the dns domain, this is called multi-master and
means that each DC is the dns master
I know that. Maybe I didn't explain well what I was trying to achieve, but
I already knew most of the information you gave me.

The most important thing I didn't know was that multi-homed is strongly
discouraged.

Is such configuration with a dns proxy going to work?
As I said, with it I was able to make kinit and the join works. Replication
from DC2 to DC1 works, but doesn't work from DC1 to DC2.

I should keep trying it or is it a lost cause?