[Samba] Problem transfering fsmo roles.

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Fri Oct 16 20:09:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have a Samba domain which currently has 4 DC's. I am in the process of
trying to remove the old 4.8.12 self compiled DC's and ultimately replace
them with (2) 4.12.8 DC's on Buster with samba from the VanBelle repo.
Due to an error in my apt configuration I currently have 2 4.11.14 DC's running
on Buster.

If I try to transfer the roles from one of the 4.8.12 DC's to one of
the 4.11.14 DC's it fails with the following:

(vdc3 pts2) # samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=infrastructure
ERROR: Transfer of 'infrastructure' role failed: Failed FSMO transfer: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
(vdc3 pts2)

If I try to transfer the roles to the other 4.8.12 DC the roles transfers as expected.

Does anyone have any idea why the roles will not transfer to the 4.11.14 DC or
how to troubleshoot this problem?

Is going from 4.8.12 to 4.11.14 to large of a jump? If yes what steps do I need to take?

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org