[Samba] Samba Performance Monitoring?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 16 00:58:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 08:59:48AM -0400, Robert Buck via samba wrote:
> What is the impact of turning profiling on?
>
> profiling support = on
>

> More specifically, we're setting up a custom Prometheus exporter for Samba,
> but smbstatus does not provide a whole lot of detailed information for
> samba health, etc. I was hoping for more detailed information that we can
> forward to Prometheus.
>
> So my question is:
>
>    1. What options exist for efficiently getting metrics?
>    2. Does turning on profiling support impact performance? If so, how much?
>    3. Are there other things

First you need to configure and compile with --with-profiling-data

smbcontrol is used to send a 'profile' message which
can set the profiling level of a target smbd:

    profile
           Change profile settings of a daemon, based on the parameter. The parameter can be "on" to turn on profile stats collection, "off" to turn off
           profile stats collection, "count" to enable only collection of count stats (time stats are disabled), and "flush" to zero the current profile
           stats. This can be sent to any

smbstatus can then dump out profiling stats
using -P or -R.

       -P|--profile
           If samba has been compiled with the profiling option, print only the contents of the profiling shared memory area.

       -R|--profile-rates
           If samba has been compiled with the profiling option, print the contents of the profiling shared memory area and the call rates.