[Samba] automatic transfer or seize fsmo roles

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 14 03:35:27 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-10-13 at 15:33 -0500, Dania Ramirez Moya via samba wrote:
>  Hello list:
> Sorry  for my ignorance but anyone could you tell me if is possible
> setting
> automatic transference or seize fsmo roles on samba4, to avoid manual
> action over server, such as HA, i mean in case that my fsmo role
> owner
> crash.
> Best regard.

AD FSMO role transfers are generally for the case where a DC is really
gone away, not for automatic transfers.

The reason for this is that if the network goes split-brain you don't
want each end of the split deciding to take the FSMO role
unilaterally.

Also, FSMO roles don't matter that much - new users can still be
created (typically up to another 1500 or more) and schema changes are
vanishingly rare.

So having the FSMO role owner offline isn't a big deal, just bring it
back online when you can.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/