[Samba] Moving users from a Samba 3.6 to 4.9 (tdb)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 12 14:20:55 UTC 2020

On 12/10/2020 15:11, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Fri, 9 Oct 2020 13:02:22 +0100
> Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> écrivait:
>
>> Restart smbd and winbind and see how you go on.
>>
> No dice. I've edited the smb.conf, stopped the services, copied the old
> tdb again (account_policy.tdb  group_mapping.tdb  passdb.tdb
> registry.tdb  secrets.tdb  share_info.tdb  winbindd_idmap.tdb); started
> the services and...
>
> # pdbedit -L
> # echo $?
> 0
>
> How comes?

I have no idea, normally a standalone server only needs the smbd & nmbd
deamons running, but you had lines in your smb.conf that needed winbind
to have any affect.

I take it that you have copied everything from /var/lib/samba on the old
computer to /var/lib/samba on the new one.

After that, I am lost, smbd & winbind haven't changed that much since
3.6, just minor changes, not enough to stop you finding your users.

Rowland