[Samba] Lookup sid with libsmbclient (invoked from c# on mono)

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Mon Oct 12 09:37:58 UTC 2020

Hi Vincent,

If you want to lookup a SID from a remote Linux client I believe you
will have to authenticate to the server. Assuming the client is joined
to the domain and has winbind running, you can use libwbclient

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/blob/master/nsswitch/libwbclient/wbclient.h

* wbcLookupName() will do domain/name => SID
* wbcLookupSid() will do SID => domain/name

If you are not joined or don't have the winbind daemon configured and
running, I guess there might be a solution by passing credentials,
doing NTLM authentication and some direct RPC calls, but I'm not
familiar with this part of samba.

Cheers,
--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3