[Samba] creating and copying users

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 9 15:01:42 UTC 2020

On 09/10/2020 15:19, Robert Wooden via samba wrote:
> This topic may have been discussed many times, sorry to repeat here.
>
> I have been trying various combinations of adding test users via ADUC. The
> first three (3) added fine. Then the strange began. Many, many W10 client
> re-starts throughout these process to make client capture any changes from
> servers.
>
> Could I get anyone to share the 'command string' you use as a starting
> point for the correct order of "switches" used for *samba-tool user add*?

First the command you should be using is 'samba-tool user create' and
you can find the help for that by adding '-h' or '--help'.

The standard command for creating a user in the same way that ADUC does is:

samba-tool user create USERNAME PASSWORD --given-name=GIVEN_NAME
--surname=SURNAME

You can add the profile & homedir paths at the same time by adding
'--profile-path=PROFILE_PATH --home-directory=HOME_DIRECTORY' to the
command above. The path for profile must exist on the server and the
base path for the homedir must also exist. There must also be the two
relevant shares on the server.

Rowland