[Samba] Moving users from a Samba 3.6 to 4.9 (tdb)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Oct 9 06:58:40 UTC 2020

Yes, without full config this is hard to analyze..
Smb.conf maybe some logs parts if there is something in the logs..

Now, TP starter said.
> I copied system users and group, then /var/lib/samba/*.tdb

Here im pointing to the "users" and "groups"
What exactly did you copy? Only the passwd and groups ?
Did you make sure you only copied the UID/GIDS above 1000?
Because the numbers below it do change per install.

You also know there is a "shadow" file?
Did you test if you can login with the copies users ( if allowed and needed )

These are the important once..
accounts: /etc/passwd
passwords: /etc/shadow
groups and memberships: /etc/group
group passwords: /etc/gshadow
/etc/samba/*
/var/lib/samba/*

This one has a good and valid set to move accounts.
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-move-migrate-user-accounts-old-to-new-server/

Debian and Ubuntu Linux : Default is 1000 and upper limit is 29999 (/etc/adduser.conf).
Only that part, the upper limit is now 59999

And have you seen?
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server#Creating_a_Local_User_Account
I dont think the underlaying problem here is samba, but how its copied.

I say review above with the steps you did, you missed something. ( but thats clear already ) :-/

Greetz,

Louis