[Samba] Moving users from a Samba 3.6 to 4.9 (tdb)

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Thu Oct 8 16:49:47 UTC 2020

Le Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:37:38 +0100
Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> écrivait:

> On 08/10/2020 17:25, Emmanuel Florac via samba wrote:
> > But it's not a domain, no LDAP, no AD. Just a standalone server,
> > migrating to another standalone server. Should I do something using
> > Samba tool?
>
> No, samba-tool is only used with AD.
>
> As far as I am aware, the standalone server hasn't changed that much
> between 3.6 and 4.9 (both of which are EOL as far as Samba is
> concerned), so your method probably should have worked.
>
> What OS are you using ?

Debian, the old server running Debian 7 and the new one Debian 10
(current stable).

> Have you checked the file ownership on the files you copied ?

Yes, they belong to root, 600 access rights on both systems.

> What is in your smb.conf ?
>
> I take it that it isn't so much getting Samba to work, it is the file
> ownership.

The smb.conf are quite different, because the old one doesn't work out
of the box with the new machine.

The main differences are:

old box:

    winbind separator = +
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind cache time = 10
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000

(no idmap or winbind custom settings on the new one)

Old box :

    unix password sync = false

New:

    unix password sync = true

Maybe that's the culprit? I don't really know what this setting does.