[Samba] CTDB Question w/ Winbind

Robert Buck robert.buck at som.com
Wed Oct 7 00:56:39 UTC 2020

Hi Martin, you seem to do a lot of work on CTDB. Let me ask a question...

Is there a way to segment CTDB/Samba to minimize chatter? Specifically,
what I have in mind... In recent years advances have been made in
distributed SQL databases (ideas which are applicable here) whereby the
communication profile between peers are minimized, and synchronization is
never necessary except in circumstances where a peer has the data resident
in memory and needs to perform an update (requiring an MVCC lock). Through
a catalog you can find out who is the chairman for any particular record,
thus be able to know who manages locks related to it, as well as handles
contended updates. In this way, communication tends to be segmented, and
lock management is localized.

It seems to us, and we need to measure with wireshark, that CTDB with Samba
forms a full-mesh network, yes? And because of the architecture and
communication profile, performance of the system is about 1/100th of what
it is when turned off. (Please bear in mind we're talking about
geo-distributed deployments here, not ones localized to a single region,
where latency is not an issue, so we're speaking of distances upwards of
10,000 miles longest leg, and 5000 miles on average.)

I've some experience in the area of distributed SQL databases, and it seems
that perhaps some of the architectural patterns to optimize communications
could apply here?

All that said, if you know a way to optimize out a 1:100 performance
penalty of using CTDB, please let us know.

Really appreciate your feedback and help.

Bob