[Samba] Performance Question: Lots of Small Files vs One Large File

Robert Buck robert.buck at som.com
Tue Oct 6 17:49:32 UTC 2020

In an architecture where we have Samba running on RHEL exposing shares to
Windows, when we have 1 large 1GB file, the write performance to storage is
very fast, even over distances of 5000 miles. However, even writes to local
Samba servers, with 100 10MB files being copied onto a shared drive,
Windows Explorer is MUCH slower. I don't know if it's really Samba, but
more than likely Windows.

Does anyone on channel have experience with copying multiple small files
onto shares? Are there any ways to make copying files onto a share faster?

Thanks

--

BOB BUCK
SENIOR PLATFORM SOFTWARE ENGINEER