[Samba] Upgrade to Samba 4.12 question

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 5 13:40:58 UTC 2020

On 05/10/2020 14:06, Jiří Černý via samba wrote:
> Thank you for clarification.
> So NTLM authentication (SMBv1) is still running (and supported), even in 4.13 and (near) future versions?
> Maybe our machines will die before Samba team finally end the SMBv1 support, but I don't believe that much:)
SMBv1 was turned off by default in Samba 4.11.0 but is still available,
4.13.0 went further, a bunch of the require SMBv1 parameters were
deprecated and could be removed at the next release (but probably wont
be). The removal of SMBv1 has begun.

> Can I have one additional question?
> When I deactivate NTLMv1 on DCs (or new version of Samba removes it), but I leave it enabled on fileserver with older Samba/Windows, will be win95-like NTLMv1 client able to connect to that fileserver?

Not entirely sure, in AD, authentication is carried out by the DC's, so
the fileserver would have to authenticate the client via a DC, so it
might work, but then again it might not, you have to try it.

A better idea would be to set up a small workgroup containing the win9X
machines and a fileserver. Airgap the workgroup from your main domain
and transfer files via USB drive, this way you can continue to use an
older version of Samba with your win9X machines safely.

Rowland