[Samba] SMB3 Multichannel supported

McNeal, Robert rbm at amazon.com
Fri Oct 2 23:59:59 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2019-09-22 at 19:06 +0530, Bob wrote:

>I have been reviewing some event viewer logs of smbclient on the W10
>workstations I have in our Samba 4 AD environment. These logs are
>complaining about "Multichannel" and that an administrator has disabled
>multichannel.
>
>I have found that multichannel was implemented as "experimental" in
>v4.4. Then, I also found a post (somewhere) that it was still
>"experimental" in v4.5. Searching release version notes, I am not easily
>finding any other references to it's status.
>
>Now we're on v4.10.5 so, is multichannel experimental and does it also
>require elevating the function level to 2012 or higher when enabled?

It's been a little more than a year since this question was raised.
1.  What is the status of test integration and production readiness for multi channel?
2.  I don't see RSS support from Windows Server 2019 clients connected to Samba v4.10 with when I run the PowerShell Get-SmbMultichannelConnection command.  I only see SMB multi channel performance improvements with dual NIC on different subnets as noted in this thread:
https://marc.info/?l=samba&m=159164098125194&w=2
If this expected behavior?  I have the following settings in my config:

server multi channel support = yes
aio read size = 1
aio write size = 1
interfaces = eth0;speed=25000000000,capability=RSS eth1;speed=25000000000,capability=RSS

-Robert M