[Samba] samba config for guest users

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 30 22:18:01 UTC 2020

On 30/11/2020 21:53, Pol Hallen via samba wrote:
> Hello to all :)
>
> I trying to use a guest user config with win10, the problem is: I
> cannot make modify to ALL win10 but only to someone.
>
> I enabled SMB2 guest account on win10:
>
> Local Group Policy editor:
> --> Administrative Templates\Network\Lanman Workstation --> Enable
> insecure guest logons
>
> works!
> but other win10 with standard config cannot access totally to fileserver:
>
> "Windows cannot access \\DEBIAN10-1"

OK, the guest user on Windows has absolutely nothing to do with guest
access on a Samba standalone server, so turn Guest off on Windows again.

A guest user on Samba, is any user that is unknown to Samba and provided
that 'map to guest = Bad User' is set in 'global' and 'guest ok = yes'
is set in the share, a guest user will be allowed access to the share.

On a Samba standalone server (which is what you have), to make a user
known, the user must be a Unix user and have been created as a Samba
user with 'smbpasswd -a username' run as root.

Try this smb.conf:

[global]
         security = user
         map to guest = Bad User
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

[public]
         comment = Public share
         path = /home/users
         read only = no
         guest ok = yes
         guest only = yes

[nopublic]
         path=/home/nopublic
         admin users = root
         valid users = user1, user2, user3, user4, user5
         read only = no

This will only allow unknown users access to the 'public' share, any
known users will be denied. The users user1, user2, user3, user4 and
user5 are the only users that will be allowed access to 'nopublic', but
only if they are Unix & Samba users.

Rowland