[Samba] Setting Share Permissions and ACLs from Linux

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri Nov 27 14:21:37 UTC 2020

Greetings.

I usually has to setup share permissions remotely over a slow speed
link. Having to start a remote desktop session just for settings a few
permissions bits is painful.

The wiki documents that you should use the Computer Management mmc
module to do this and that the permissions are stored on
share_info.tdb., So I a have a few questions:

¿It is possible to set these permissions from the same server CLI? I
tried smbcacls but this tool needs two parameters, the share and a file
path inside that share, I tried with the "." file path just to check if
that could work, but doesn't.

As the share permissions are stored on share_info.tdb, what the share
folder POXIS ACLs and user.SAMBA_PAI xattrs do on these directories that
are used as shares?