[Samba] Windows file ownership changed from SID to Unix User

Gregory Giguashvili gregory.giguashvili at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:58:36 UTC 2020

> There is no one supporting the use of sssd with Samba, not even Red Hat.
>
> Now that I know what to look for (thank you, Roland!), I found
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3802321 page explaining how to properly
bridge between SSSD and winbind.

In essence,  the following configuration is in place (copy-pasting main
parts of the document for the benefit of those who has no RHEL Customer
Portal access)

# yum install realmd oddjob oddjob-mkhomedir sssd adcli samba samba-winbind
krb5-workstation
# realm  join testlab.redhat.com -U Administrator --client-software=sssd
--membership-software=samba
# systemctl stop sssd ; rm -f /var/lib/sss/db/* ; systemctl start sssd

// This is the key! Need to replace winbind client RPM by
SSSD-winbind-idmap RPM
# yum remove sssd-libwbclient
# yum install sssd-winbind-idmap

/etc/samba/smb.conf - idmap configuration:
idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * :  range = 10000-199999
idmap config TESTLAB : backend = sss
idmap config TESTLAB : range = 200000-2147483647

# systemctl enable smb winbind ; systemctl restart smb winbind