[Samba] Can't create users?

Dan Egli mysociety74 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 22:22:12 UTC 2020

Okay, I re-downloaded the Samba source and recompiled it. It started
giving me fits until I modified the samba.service file to point to
/etc/samba/smb.conf instead of whatever the default was. Then it started
fine. But when I go to add a user via samba-tool, I get an error:

samba-tool user create dan
New Password:
Retype Password:
ERROR(<class 'ValueError'>): Failed to add user 'dan':  - unable to
parse dn string
   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/user.py",
line 395, in run
     smartcard_required=smartcard_required)
   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.7/site-packages/samba/samdb.py",
line 458, in newuser
     dnsdomain = ldb.Dn(self,
self.domain_dn()).canonical_str().replace("/", "")

How do I fix this? Everthing is using the default path
(/usr/local/samba). The only paramater I passed to configure was
--enable-fhs since I remember that it croaks without that. So I just did:
./configure --enable-fhs
make && make install

I tried looking for this online, but while I've seen this error online,
it's always something that doesn't list the fix. Either they say "oh,
never mind, I got it" or it's not answered at all.

Help?

https://www.avg.com