[Samba] Time sync not working with Windows 10

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Nov 18 07:43:48 UTC 2020

After our office upgraded to Windows 10, time sync stopped working with the Windows
workstations. This used to work fine with Windows 7 and still works with linux domain members
(although that's not surprising).

The Windows 10 workstations ended up operating off the CMOS clock. We didn't notice this for a long
time since the CMOS clock drift is slow, but after several months users started noticing up to
+/-6 minutes difference between their computers and the *real* time.

Going to 'Date & Time settings > Sync Now' always gives "Time synchronization failed".

For Windows 7 workstations, several years ago, I followed the advice in
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/info/ntp-w32time.htm which was to do the following on
the Windows 7 workstations:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:mail,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
w32tm /config /update

Check the configuration:

w32tm /query /source

This worked and time was in-sync on the WIN7 computers for many years.  I did this after
upgrading/installing each Windows 10 workstation during 2019 Q4 and 2020 Q1, but apparently
that didn't work.

For the Windows 10 workstations I create the "Time Source" group policy per the instructions in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation. That didn't help either.

Is it possible that the version of Samba I am using (Version 4.8.2) is too old for Windows 10?
I could upgrade to 4.13.2, but that is in the "experimental" release of Slackware and may or
may not install properly.

I'll certainly try the newer version if list experts think that could help. But if time sync
has nothing to do with any Samba services I won't waste my time upgrading.

Advice?

THX --Mark