[Samba] Turning one DC down for a day

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Nov 17 10:08:58 UTC 2020

Am 16.11.20 um 19:42 schrieb Andrew Walker:

> Depending on how many clients there are in the environment, you may wish
> to double-check that the server you're taking down isn't the only
> configured nameserver for them. These sorts of exercises are the times
> when you realize that the server you're taking down has some software on
> it that's absolutely critical to the environment :))

Thanks for the pointer. Checked my DHCP-cluster right now, looks good.

> If you have time to test beforehand, do so during something like a
> maintenance window (i.e. after people leave work) to make sure that
> nothing critical goes down. Maybe also check for Samba shares, NFS
> exports, or other things that are being hosted on the DC in question. I
> know it's not a great idea to do this, but sometimes things happen if
> there's more than one cook in the kitchen. :))

The rebuild of the network was cancelled this week because of
Covid-related issues: they have *more* work now and can't risk the
downtime right now (not even the planned "one floor only mode" day).

So I have more time to plan and test.

I might plan that maintenance window, and turn off DC1, yes.

No relevant shares on that machine, only one for me, the admin ...