[Samba] Joining Samba to Upgraded 2003 domain failing

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 17 08:41:22 UTC 2020

On 16/11/2020 23:41, Travis Wenks wrote:

> Hi Rowland
>
> I am trying to follow the article but am having the error. That's why
> I am trying to clean up this bad subdomain.
> I don't know if these lists allow image attachments.
> So I uploaded a screenshot here.
> https://ibb.co/Ct3BLjL <https://ibb.co/Ct3BLjL>
>
> I built a new domain for this problem in our lab. The domain listed
> with #1 is the one created by the domain provision.
Hang on, you started off saying 'join', now you mention 'provision',
which are you doing ? You only run 'provision' once in an AD domain,
when you create it.
> However the one listed with the #2 is an example of the sub domain
> that I need to delete.
> As is pointed out in the article, in our live environment there is a
> subdomain labeled _msdcs where the #2 is pointed.
If your AD dns domain is 'net.example.com', then you should have a
'_msdcs.net.example.com' record, it is your forest domain record.
> This is in addition to the one that a new samba domain creates.
But it shouldn't be trying to create one, because a join only creates a
few of the new DC's record and none of the domains existing records,
they are replicated.

Rowland